Sales of the TON Labs Security Card started in September 2021. However, not everyone can buy it yet. And here’s why.
We’ve already covered what the Security Card is for and why it’s an alternative to an expensive hardware wallet. But at the time, the timing seemed rather vague. This is how Andrei Galushkin, project manager of TON Labs, described them:
Since this is new to the blockchain, the path is thorny. But the light at the end of the tunnel is definitely visible and very clearly
At the time of writing this article, the TON Labs Security Card was already available to a limited group of testers, in particular those who had pre-applied for it. Soon it will be available to everyone through a special TON Surf DeBot.
The second card will be used as a spare, in case of loss or damage of the first, as it serves as the second key to sign transactions in multisig wallets.
To place an order:
1. Open your TON Surf account.
2. Tap Browse DeBots and enter the Security Card DeBot address.
3. Tap I understand to access the DeBot.
4. Select Buy security card and specify the desired number of cards — from 2 to 10. After the testing period is over, it will be possible to purchase any number of cards.
5. Confirm agreement with the amount including the fee: 50 TON — cost per card, 2 TON Crystals for deploying two smart contracts of the card. Total for two cards — 102 TON + network fee.
6. Pay for the deployment of smart contracts of the card.
7. Enter your full name and shipping address of the card in Latin. During the testing period, you must additionally specify the country code Alpha-2, which can be found here. Wait for the drop-down list of countries in the application. Currently, card delivery is not available to all countries of the world, for example, delivery to the Republic of Belarus is not available. The developers promise to solve the issue of delivery of the card to the maximum number of countries.
8. Check the specified information and tap Yes, continue.
9. Perform a transaction to save the specified information.
10. Pay the cards by confirming and signing the transaction.
11. And now wait for the delivery of the card, it takes up to 6 weeks. In fact, the delivery is faster.
You can track the delivery status of the card after payment in the Buy security card/Show order status deBot section and by the tracking number in My shipments.
How to activate the Security Card
Activation has two steps: checking the integrity of the card and the activation itself.
Attention! You can only activate it using the Surf account from which the Security Card was ordered.
1. Use an NFC smartphone and run TON Surf on it from the account from which you bought the card.
2. Go to Security Card DeBot by opening the DeBot Browser and select the one you used earlier.
3. Accept the use of the third-party DeBot service.
4. In the deBot menu, tap Activate security card and place your smartphone on the card.
5. The integrity of the card will be checked, at the end of which you need to confirm the transaction for verification by tapping Confirm.
6. Place the phone back on the card and complete its activation by paying for the offered transaction.
7. Activation is complete, the card is ready to use.
How to Deploy a Multisig wallet
Currently, TON Labs Security Card is only a key custodian (the developers promise to configure other features). That is why you can use the Security Card to protect transactions of your personal wallet or shared with partners by connecting the multisig. To do this, you need to deploy a multisig wallet.
You can deploy any multisig wallet after activating the card. That is, the binding to the account card exists only until its activation, then you can link the Security Card to sign transactions to any number of wallets.
To deploy a multisig wallet:
1. Save the public keys of the two security cards to a text document.
2. Open TON Surf.
3. Launch the Security Card DeBot by tapping the DeBot Browser and selecting the one you used earlier.
4. Accept the use of the third-party DeBot service.
5. In the deBot menu, tap Deploy wallet.
6. Tap Sign with Surf in the opened menu, selecting it to pay for deployment.
7. Enter the number of multisig wallet custodians. In our case — 3. Then the signature custodians will be 2 Security Cards and the Surf wallet key itself.
8. Specify the number of signatures that will be enough to sign the transaction. In our case — two, so one is any of the cards, and the second is a Surf wallet signature.
It is not recommended to have 3 custodians and 3 signatures for a transaction, because if you lose one of the cards, you lose access to the funds on the wallet.
9. Enter the public keys of the two security cards by copying them from a text file.
10 Sign the wallet deployment transaction.
11. Wait for custodians to be added to the wallet and complete the deployment by signing the transaction.
After that, you have to sign Surf wallet transactions with two keys, which ensures the security of transactions.