We publish the best Essays of the Free TON Positioning Essay Contest. This time with a technological bias.
With the current development of technology in all areas, all data of any user of any online service, social network, online store are stored on servers. Each server is a specific store of information. This way of storing information is called centralized. That is, there is a certain center (server) for data storage. The level of protection of personal data stored on these servers is quite high for each user, but still, there is a fairly high probability that a targeted attack by hackers can break any level of protection and gain access to any data of users, including personal data.
In the era of digitalization and information wars, this method of data storage can not be called reliable. It is always possible that access to data stored on servers may be gained by people who may use this information for their personal (malicious) purposes. As Nathan Mayer Rothschild (German banker) said: «He who owns the information, owns the world». This phrase is even more relevant today. Today information wars have become the basis for the geopolitics of developing and developed countries.
That’s why personal, secret data should be securely locked out for adversaries. But a centralized way to store information does not solve this problem.
A solution to an actual problem
Centralized way of data storage (centralization) does not allow to safely store personal and secret information. All data is centralized in one place. Any degree of protection of the centralized node (server) can be hacked. Any development of protection systems will not lead to the desired result.
Therefore, the centralization should be abandoned in favor of a dispersed way of storing information. The information will not be stored in a specific location. This method of data storage is decentralized (decentralization).
From a technology perspective, decentralization refers to the creation of an environment where there is no need for a server and network members must have a single rank.
How to embody of decentralization
Today, blockchain technologies are being actively developed to implement decentralization. Although blockchain technology is relatively young, it can support a decentralized way of storing data. On the basis of blockchain networks, it is possible to reconstruct a lot of current technological solutions.
Recently, the technology of decentralized financial instrument management has started to develop. This solution is based on a blockchain network and is designed to preserve the anonymity of users when conducting transactions.
It takes time and considerable financial investments to implement these technologies everywhere. In the future, it will be possible to implement a large-scale decentralized system in many areas of human activity. Most importantly, the system will ensure the confidentiality of data.
Current problems of blockchain technology
In the case of the global implementation of decentralized technologies, they will be used by a great many people (more than 1 billion). Every second there will be a lot of operations, transactions, and other ways of information transfer on the network. The network must be ready to process so much information every second.
Unfortunately, at the moment none of all running blockchain networks allows implementing this mechanism. Bitcoin can process only 7 transactions per second. Later, a lot of blockchain projects were
implemented with speed of transaction processing significantly higher than in the Bitcoin network. But still, they are not able to fully replace current centralized technology solutions. For example, Ethereum
blockchain project, the second by total capitalization, can handle up to 15 transactions per second, EOS project can process up to 50 transactions per second, Litecoin — 56 transactions per second, Cardano — 250 transactions, Stellar — 1000 transactions, Tron — 2000 transactions, Ripple — 1500 transactions per second, etc. One of the leaders among blockchain networks in terms of transaction speed is Dragonchain network. Speed of Dragonchain network can peak at 15,000 transactions per second. This is very small. For example, the transaction rate of Visa payment system reaches 56 000 transactions per second. The competitor is Solana blockchain (60,000 transactions per second).
But everyday life of any person is not limited only by the need for speed of transactions. A man interacts strongly with many technological solutions. Blockchain technologies can be implemented in almost any sphere of activity: construction, industrial, domestic, medical, aviation, etc. And these
technologies are beginning to be implemented in the life of mankind. There are many such examples. But such examples relate to private, not global. At the current stage of blockchain technology development, similar private solutions may well function normally. But if we talk about some largescale introduction into human life, the network speed is one of the most important factors of a decentralized network (to support the continuous operation of each technology solution created on the basis of a decentralized network).
A very important sector for implementing decentralized technologies is the banking sector. The banking sector is the basis of the economy of almost every state. It is on centralized servers of banks that a lot of personal data of each client is stored. Some bank transactions require manual decision
making. It is through banks that all cashless operations of each client are carried out.
Does blockchain technology have any prospects?
The full development of decentralized technologies may be delayed for a long time. As described above, no existing decentralized blockchain can fully replace an existing centralized solution. In order to solve the problems of centralization through the introduction of blockchain technology, it is necessary to create a fast, detsetralized and flexible blockchain network.
An important breakthrough in the development of decentralized blockchain technology was the development of TON blockchain network by the Durov brothers. The development of the network was conducted in cooperation with the established organization TON Labs. Due to further disagreements
with the SEC Durovs stopped the development of the TON project, giving further development opportunities to enthusiasts, laying out the source code.
The development of TON blockchain did not stop and the network was launched on 05/07/2020 with support for TON Labs. The project received a slightly modified name — Free TON.
What is Free TON?
Free TON blockchain — the latest development in blockchain technology. It’s the only blockchain to date, belonging to the fifth generation. Therefore:
- Free TON blockchain is a multi-blockchain (a system may contain several networks rather than one. This significantly increases the speed of transactions within the multi-blockchain network).
- Free TON has a mixed (homogeneous and heterogeneous) system. Included in multi-blockchain networks (workchains, subnetworks) may have different types and have different rules of operation.
This provides increased functionality of the multichain platform and its flexibility to process different operations.
- Free TON multi-blockchain can be scaled based on the volume of operations performed through it.
- On the basis of Free TON blockchain it is possible to develop and implement smart contracts. This is a program that allows you to automate any process. The results of the smart contract operations
are confirmed by the nodes of the network, which eliminates the error in the execution of the operation, and provides a decentralized principle of operation.
Also Free TON blockchain has many other advantages, winning other blockchain projects. The speed of transactions in the TON network can reach over 1 million transactions per second. With such a speed of transactions, it is quite possible to implement this technology globally into everyday life.
Originally, the TON platform was designed to solve existing problems applicable to a centralized management system. Within the TON project it was planned to launch decentralized storages, proxy, DNS and other services. When starting Free TON these services will be debugged and run. Free TON command introduces additional functions into the blockchain system in this case.
Moreover, representatives of many countries of the world are already interested in Free TON blockchain technology at the initial stage of development, for example: France, China, Korea, Italy, Turkey, Singapore, India, Canada, Ukraine, Brazil, Russia, Malta, some African countries, etc.
What can Free TON do?
Free TON technologies are able to solve problems that are characteristic of centralized systems. On the basis of this blockchain it is possible to create a global ecosystem that includes both methods of data transmission, monitoring and processing in automatic mode and a subsystem of calculations and cashless transfers (as an analogue of the current banking system and payment terminals system):
- Decentralized Free TON blockchain information storage will allow to store all confidential, secret and personal information of users without the possibility of its loss. It will be possible to store large arrays of data in this storage.
- The high speed of processing transactions of the Free TON blockchain will allow to fully replace the centralized payment systems with the decentralized payment system without damage and loss of time for payment participants.
- The system of decentralized finance developed on the basis of the Free TON blockchain will reduce the risks of theft of confidential information of payment participants to third parties. Users will retain full control over their assets and interact with other network members through decentralized applications.
- As described above, it is possible to use smart contracts. A smart contract is a defined action programmed in a blockchain. Thus, it is possible to program almost any action that will be performed automatically. For example: smart contracts will be especially useful for the automation of banking operations. With this instrument, voting on issues is fully decentralized and weighted, and the opinion of each voter is taken into account.
- Free TON blokchain has its own asset — cryptocurrency TON Crystal (cashless money analogue). Initial total emission is 5 billion tokens (with an additional issue of 2% per year). Globally tokens can be used within a decentralized network as an alternative to fiat currencies. Transfers will be instant, and the commission will be easily calculated before sending. The price of the token will be determined when trading on the cryptocurrency exchange.
- The advantage of Free TON multi-blockchain will be the developed operating system TON OS. TON OS will provide user interaction with a decentralized database, as opposed to a conventional operating system (Linux, Windows, etc) that allows a user to communicate with a centralized computer.
- The ability to implement the Free TON ecosystem in many areas of human activity. For example, today at the stage of the project development TON Crystal tokens are distributed among users
by means of their participation in the games. That is, the distribution of tokens is also done through gamification. Examples of games: Poker TON, DOTA 2, etc. This is just the beginning of development. In the future the amount of token distribution channels will be significantly increased.
- Each blockchain within a Free TON multi-blockchain is able to support its own cryptocurrency. The amount of tokens supported by multi-blockchain is over 4 billion.
- On the Free TON blockchain, the DeFi ecosystem under development can work with other cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Etherium, Monero, NEO, etc. (in other words, using this ecosystem, it is possible to tokenize coins of other blockchains on FreeTON).
As a result, we can say that the Free TON blockchain is a set of all the advanced technologies of the blockchain industry. This blockchain is able to really implement a whole decentralized ecosystem in which operations related to all spheres of human activity can be implemented. This decentralized ecosystem will allow to store any confidential information in full safety, make life comfortable and convenient.
I want to conclude this post by wishing luck to all those striving for decentralization, balance and equality in the world. You are fighting the right battle. This battle may well be the most important battle of our generation. We hope that you succeed where we have failed. Pavel Durov
The author of the essay is Michael.